The Charleston Teacher Alliance
THE VOICE OF TEACHERS IN THE CHARLESTON COUNTY SCHOOL DISTRICT
The Charleston Teacher Alliance (CTA) is the largest teacher advocacy organization in the Charleston County School District and one of the largest in South Carolina. It is unique among teacher organizations for its data-driven approach and focus on teacher empowerment.
In the Fall of 2003, a small group of teacher leaders, including several former and future CCSD Teachers of the Year, formed a new teacher organization that would represent the values and interests of classroom teachers. The CTA was officially organized in November, 2003 with the following organizational principles:
1. The CTA is free and open to all CCSD teachers.
2. The CTA represents the interests of teachers as gauged by surveys and other means of soliciting feedback.
3. The CTA has a district-wide focus and does not address individual members' labor issues or site/school specific concerns.
4. The CTA is proactive and positive. It seeks to work with district leaders on solutions and avoids confrontational tactics.
5. The CTA is led by classroom teachers who volunteer their time to represent the interests and values of its membership.
For over 15 years, the CTA has advocated successfully for improvements or increases to:
teacher pay and annual steps
teacher planning and lunch periods
numerous other issues impacting teachers.